Associate professor Dipl.-Ing. Abdul Tawab Mullah Hwaish,
Minister off-duty and Deputy Prime Minister of Iraq until 2003
Name : Abdallah Ahmed (in Deutschland).
Name : Al-Mulla-Hwaisch (in Iraq), also known under the name:
Abd al-Tawab Mullah al-Huwaysh
First name : Abdul Tawab.
Family name: Mullah Hwaish.
Date of Birth : March 14, 1942.
Place of Birth : Fallujah / AL-Anbar / Iraq.
Marital status : Married / 3 children + 1 adopted child and
Wife : Veronika Anna Abdallah, née Söllner.
Vocational college teacher for agriculture.
Photo: Abdul Tawab Mullah Hwaish
Languages : Arabic, German, English.
University Education : Engineering Studies, Munich 1969.
Technical University of Munich (TU München) – Mechanical Engineering.
Schools : Primary, secondary and higher vocational schools in Baghdad and Fallujah, Iraq.
- 1959: Scholarship in Romania for oil engineering.
- 1961: After leaving Romania due to confrontations with the Communists, travelled to Federal Republic of Germany.
- 1961: Learned German language, work experience in various companies, preparatory courses and study at the Technical University in Munich.
- 1969: Graduated as – Dipl.-Ing., Allg. Maschinenbau (Mechanical Engineer).
Professional Career :
- 1969: Return to Iraq.
- 1969: Employed as transport engineer at the Ministry of Oil in Baghdad.
- 1971: Chief engineer for oil transportation.
- 1974: General director of “Baghdad Passenger Transport”.
- 1975: General director for overland cargo transportation.
- 1976: President of the organisation for overland freight transportation, consisting of:
1. Baghdad Passenger Transport.
2. Overland cargo transportation.
3. Special cargo transportation.
4. Intercity passenger transportation.
5. Maintenance workshop for lorries and buses.
(The overland transportation organisation was set up by myself).
- 1978: President of the organisation for engineering industry in the Ministry of Industry in Baghdad, consisting of 14 companies engaged in the manufacture of electrical, mechanical and metallurgical goods.
- 1982: Deputy Minister in the Ministry of Industry.
- 1987: Minister for Heavy Industry.
- 1988: Adviser to the president on industrial affairs.
- 1989 – 1991: President of the organisation for tourism.
- 1993 – 1994: President of the Union for Social Cooperation.
- 1997: Minister of Military Industry.
- 2001: Deputy Minister of Economic and Industrial Affairs.
Other Activities :
- 1971 – 1974: Lecturer at the Technical University of Baghdad, Iraq.
- 1971 – 1973: Director of the Technical Evening School in Baghdad.
- 1978 – 1982: Chairman of the Arab Union for Engineering Industry (Currently Honorary Chairman).
- 1979 – 1987: Chairman of the “Arab Company for Engineering Projects”, with share capital of 500 million USD.
- 1980 – 1982: Board member of SNIM (Société Nationale Industrielle et Miniere) in Mauritania.
- 1979 – 1982: Board member of the Arab Mining Company.
- 1996 – 2003: Chairman of the Board of the Ministry of Health.
Voluntary and Social Activities :
- Member of Iraqi engineers union.
- Member of the Association of German Engineers.
- Member of the Baghdad Hunting Club.
- Member of the Alwieah Club in Baghdad.
- Voluntary direction and supervision of the Baghdad orphanage.
- Member of the Advisory Board, "Deutsches Komitee für UNAPO, Apotheker für die Dritte Welt e.V."
- President of IAU (International Arabic Union).
International Activities :
I have led many international economic policy negotiations dealing with questions of intersectoral investment and financing, in particular with the following countries:
- South Korea.
- All Arab countries.
Following the Occupation of Iraq in 2003 :
- Taken captive on May 1, 2003 by American armed forces.
- Released from captivity on February 23, 2006.
- Arrival in Syria February 27, 2006.
- Since release, I have been working in a freelance capacity in the private sector.
- Arrival in Germany, October 2007.